According to an ad on Comedy Central:

James Harbeck jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA
Mon Jul 2 23:56:01 UTC 2007

>That's entirely explainable as driven by the meter of the song, though,
>i would think--most(?) English speakers can't stress a schwa, so if
>they're forced to they need to choose something else, most likely ^ or a
>or Ê.

Actually, I was using the schwa as a stand-in for
the caret -- it was really a caret in the second
syllable of the second version. I should have
used the circumflex for clarity.

I've certain heard both versions in ordinary
conversation in Canada, but I can't say with
certainty which is more common or standard.

James Harbeck.