weedeat

Bradley A. Esparza baesparza at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 3 19:59:28 UTC 2007

My mother, who was born in King County, Washington State in 1941 and where
she resides, "weedeats" and earlier today she "weedeated". She agrees that
she would not use "weedate"

On 7/3/07, Charles Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:

> A teenager told me that she and a friend had been doing yard work: "She
> mowed, and I weedeated." Yes, "weedeated" does seem like a better preterit
> than "weedate" (1880 Google hits vs. 105). The OED appears not to have
> "weedeater" or any backformed form (?!).
>
> --Charlie

Bradley A. Esparza

"You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make her think." Dorothy
Parker, when asked to use the word 'horticulture' in a sentence.