Weiner or Hamburger Schnitzel (1868)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 4 16:53:46 UTC 2007

FWIW, I've had Schnitzel Holsteiner Art both in Germany and in the
States. "Breaded; topped with a fried egg" is a good brief description
of it. It's very good, though quite filling. (It comes with a candle
or other source of heat, so that it doesn't get cold as you're eating
your way through it). I've also had Schnitzel å la Holstein, in the
States. But "Holsteiner Schnitzel"? Uh-uh. Which is surely only
coincidental, of course. I've never had or heard of Hamburger
Schnitzel, either. But that's probably also mere coincidence. And it's
"Wiener" and not "Weiner."

-Wilson

On 7/4/07, Bapopik at aol.com <Bapopik at aol.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Bapopik at AOL.COM
> Subject:      Weiner or Hamburger Schnitzel (1868)
>
> Two interesting news articles on the "hamburger" are below.
> "Hamburger schnitzel" is, according to the Wikipedia, schnitzel with a  fried
> egg on top ("Hamburg-style"?). However, citations for "Hamburger  schnitzel"
> are almost non-existent. What is it?
> The 1868 "hamburger schnitzel" citation from San Francisco is interesting.
> It appears that the San Francisco post-gold rush people ate a lot of (mostly
> weiner) schnitzel!
> _http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-smith4jul04,1,220865.story?coll=la
> -headlines-food_
> (http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-smith4jul04,1,220865.story?coll=la-headlines-food)
>

> Andrew Smith, ketchup guy, turns burgermeister
> But there's more: The editor of the new 'Oxford  Companion to American Food
> and Drink' really has an eye for icons.
> By Charles Perry, Times Staff Writer
> July 4, 2007
>
> _http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070704/LIFE/707040309/
> 1005_
> (http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070704/LIFE/707040309/1005)
> Burger background
> Chopped meat ancient, but L.A. cooked an icon
>
> By Charles Perry
> Los Angeles  Times
>

> _Wiener  schnitzel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia_
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiener_schnitzel)      Hamburger Schnitzel: "Hamburg-style
> schnitzel", topped with a fried egg. Holsteiner Schnitzel: "Holstein-style  schnitzel";
> breaded; topped with a fried egg, ...
> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiener_schnitzel - 44k  -
> 13 May 1868, San Francisco (CA) Daily Evening Bulletin, pg. 3 ad:
> BILL OF FARE--IN PART.
> (...)
> Weiner or Hamburger Schnitzel...12c
> (...)