A Grade Apart

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 5 14:16:37 UTC 2007

To _curve_ grades has been in my vocabulary since at least 1970.

  Not in OED. Nor is the less-than-transparent "grade on the [or a] curve."

  JL

Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Charles Doyle
Subject: Re: A Grade Apart

Yes, Jonathan, I've noticed that too! A disappointed student will plaintively inquire, "Are you going to curve the grades?"--by which she will mean, invariably, RAISE the grades. After it's pointed out that "curving" would entail adjusting the grades so that, in a class of 30 (for example), there might be 3 A's, 6 B's, 12 C's, 6 D's, and 3 F's, the enthusiasm for "curving" usually subsides.

--Charlie