mud-jeweller

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 6 16:56:01 UTC 2007

This appears to mean a "brickmaker; brickyard owner."

  1863 _Holley's Opera House Songster_ (N.Y.: Dick & FitzGerald) 39: THE MUD-JEWELLER'S CLERK....My father was raised as a clark In Hoboken,/ The man that he clarked for was named Mr. Dodd;/ And among all the clarks there was none like my father--/ For he was the clark, sure, that carried the hod!

  Those "clarks" ("clerk" in title) reflect a Hibernian pronunciation.

  JL