Customs House terms, colonial America

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Jul 10 13:50:26 UTC 2007

Duh!  [Me, not Wilson.]  With my head cleared out, there is (as Fred
Shapiro says) the excellent, comprehensive, and readily available OED
(2, in my case).

Wilson's findings reminded me of the common "clear out", s.v. "clear"
v. 26.d. "To depart out of a place, be off, take oneself off",
1825-.  And right next to that is 26.c. "To pass through the process
of clearing on leaving port. (With various constructions.)",
1758-.  Which hints that "the process of clearing" must also be
defined by the OED.  So:13. is "To depart, so as to leave the place
clear (in quot. 1832 with mixture of sense 2: cf. 24, 25); to go
away, 'clear off'", 1805.

And also, more specifically nautical is "clear" v. 20.a. "To free (a
ship or cargo) by satisfying the customs, harbour dues, etc.", 1703
-; plus 20.b. "absol. or intr. in same sense; hence, to leave a port
under such conditions.", 1807-.  (These are without "out"; 26. is
"with adverbs".)

It now seems clear to me that the Boston term "cleared out" in the
18th century customs reports must mean "permitted to depart".  The
corresponding S.C. term "cleared for departure" is more informative
and supports that interpretation.

For the other pair of terms, the Bostonian "outward bound" is in OED2
(adj.) "1. a. Directing the course outward, esp. going from a home
port to a foreign one: of a ship, vehicle, or person; transf. of a
voyage.", 1602-.  Various quotations indicate that this has been used
both for ships under way and those simply ready to depart.  But the
S.C. term "entered out" seems more precise: the ship master has
declared his cargo and/or the customs house official has entered
information (destination, cargo, etc.) into his records, but
permission to depart has not yet been given (the cargo is presumably
awaiting inspection).

Joel