"Don't shit where you eat" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tue Jul 10 20:35:17 UTC 2007

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

> > > in my experience, true Muslims are
> > >like Jehovah's Witnesses; they want to convert you.

In 1981, I had a Lebanese roommate at college.  He was a practicing
Muslim.  He never tried to convert me -- in fact, it was his preference
that I left him the hell alone when he was doing Islamic stuff (he once
asked me to leave our room when he was praying towards Mecca).  I think
he thought I was some sort of Infidel, and beyond Muslim redemption.  I
didn't try to disabuse him of that belief.

On some stuff, he was friendly enough (he had been on the 1980 Lebanese
Olympic team in gymnastics, and was always glad to talk about that), but
on others, he was pretty closed mouth.  If he was with a bunch of his
Middle-Eastern buddies, he was near hostile to me.  If it was just the
two of us in a room, more friendly.  He would go to the cafeteria to eat
with me at first, and then one day he spoke to some of his buddies with
me there, and didn't do much in public with me after that.