heard on Joey Reynolds

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jul 10 23:18:47 UTC 2007

HDAS has "up the kazoo/ gazoo" from 1965.  That cite, from Francis Pollini's novel, _Glover_, has been added to the online OED.

  JL

Laurence Urdang <urdang at SBCGLOBAL.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Laurence Urdang
Subject: heard on Joey Reynolds

Here are two of what I call fractured idioms from the Joey Reynolds Show, WOR710: [I know: they aren't really idioms, per se]
1. "You two are like Twiddly Dee and Twiddly Dum." 0335 26 July 2007
2. "I've had that up the kazoo." 0445 9 July 2007
The second, for wazoo, which is dated from 1961 by the OED, has been used before. It is hard to know what Reynolds thinks is meant when somebody is described as a virtuoso on the kazoo.
L. Urdang
Old Lyme