"the whole nine yards" 1942

Wed Jul 11 14:29:48 UTC 2007

On Jul 11, 2007, at 06:39, Stephen Goranson wrote:

> I suggest that the possibility that April 23,
> 1942 was the birth of "the whole nine yards" is well worth
> considering and
> testing by further research.

This would mean a series of connecting citations from 1942 onward,
demonstrating clear-cut connections to the hearings, to the military,
aeronautics, the air force, and/or the space program, AND unambiguous
use of the "whole nine yards."

I think the only way this connection is likely to be found is by the
method you used: going back to paper. The databases are still so very
small.

Grant Barrett
Double-Tongued Dictionary
http://www.doubletongued.org/