chard

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jul 11 20:33:42 UTC 2007

At 12:56 PM -0700 7/11/07, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
>On Jul 11, 2007, at 12:07 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:
>
>>How does this analysis [for [Sard] -- AMZ] apply WRT such annoying
>>cases of
>>Frenchification as "British [raZ]" and "Bei[ZIN]"?
>
>all part of the same process: english [C] and [J] replaced by the
>frenchier [S] and [Z], respectively, in "foreign" words.  spanish [C]
>is a frequent victim of frenchification to [S] (as in the name
>Chavez, where two of the three consonants and the accent pattern are
>frenchified away from the expected english counterparts to the
>spanish originals).

In the name of the geographical feature marking
the site of Dodger Stadium in L.A., Chavez
Ravine, there's also the rhythm factor, hence
it's always [S@'vEz r@'viyn].  For Cesar Chávez,
on the other hand, I remember hearing ['CavEz] or
the semi-Frenchified ['SavEz] after the
['seyzar].  On the topic of
hyper-Frenchification, there's also the tendency
we've discussed periodically of dropping even
those final (or underlyingly non-final)
consonants that would be pronounced in French, as
in "coup de grâce" pronounced as if it were "coup
de gras" = [kud@'gra].

LH