Nachos (1954; 1940, by Ignacio Amaya/Anaya?)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 12 19:36:23 UTC 2007

On 7/11/07, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Nachos (1954; 1940, by Ignacio Amaya/Anaya?)
>

> At 4:37 PM -0400 7/11/07, Wilson Gray wrote:
> >"Anaya" is a common Hispanic name of Basque origin, in which language
> >it means "brother." (The more mature among us may recall the
> >Hispanic-American rassling hero, "Cyclone" Anaya, from ca.1950. To the
> >best of my recollection, Anaya didn't use any first name other than
> >"Cyclone.")
> >
> >Unfortunately, I can't say with certainty whether the name, "Amaya,"
> >is or is not an actual Spanish name. IMO, it's not.
> >
> >FWI, /ci/ > [ch] isn't restricted to Mexican Spanish. Cf., e.g., the
> >nickname, "Chano," of the late, great Cuban conguero, Luciano Pozo.
> >
> >-Wilson
>
> Ah, but isn't Luciano itself an Italian name, where it would in fact
> be regularly rendered [luCano], as in tenor Pavoratti or composer
> Berio?
>
> LH

For the sake of argument, let us assume that Spanish "Luciano," like
unto Italian "Luciano," is borrowed from Latin Lucianus." In this
case, the argument holds. And, of course, were Spanish "Luciano" a
borrowing from Italian, it would have the spelling, "Luchano" and not
"Luciano."

-Wilson, somewhat familiar with Romance linguistics

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens