chard

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Sat Jul 14 20:34:45 UTC 2007

From:    "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>
> On Jul 11, 2007, at 10:39 PM, David Bowie wrote:

>> As far as *my* pronunciation of [raZ] (and [g at raZ]), my particular
>> variety simply won't allow me to ever end a word with a [dZ], [s]o
>> they turn into [Z].

> amazing.  so you can't say [b&J] or [rIJ] or [sl^J] or [kluJ], etc.
> ( where "[J]" = your "[dZ]", i.e. the affricate)?  i'm always
> astounded to discover new varieties of english -- in this case, one
> in which word-final [J] is always realized as [Z].  who knew?

Well, i certainly *can* say them that way, but you get variation
following wedge: [b^dZ]~[b^Z], [sl^dZ]~[sl^Z]. It takes amazingly
intense effort to say [kludZ] rather than [kluZ]. I'm somewhat unsure of
my own pronunciation of [rIdZ]/[rIZ], but i think you get variation like
those following wedge.

Really, though, word-final deaffrication shouldn't be terribly surprising.

<snip>

--
David Bowie                               University of Central Florida