submerged underwater

David A. Daniel dad at POKERWIZ.COM
Mon Jul 16 15:38:17 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Arnold M. Zwicky
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2007 11:46 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: submerged underwater

Not technically 100% redundant as you can be submerged in a substance other
than water. Submerged arc welding, for example, takes place under -
"submerged in" - the welding flux. Perhaps the "under" in underwater would
be the redundant part and fixing it would be "submerged in the water",
"submerged in the ocean", "submerged in the Bay" just to indicate where and
in what he was submerged?
DAD

Mark Oppenheimer, "The Actualizer", NYT Magazine 7/15/07, p. 30:

Richard Lawson ... says that Katselas's teaching helped him cheat
death in 1992 when his plane from LaGuardia crashed in Flushing Bay
and he was submerged underwater.

this struck me as redundant, though it's not clear to me how to fix
it -- "trapped underwater", "submerged for minutes", what?

plenty of hits, for example:

The device includes a dumbbell shaped floatation member for providing
buoyant resistance once submerged underwater. This dumbbell shaped
member can accept ...
www.freepatentsonline.com/6939276.html  [plus other cites in patents]

Yahoo! Answers - Would air tools work submerged underwater?
3 answers - Would I be able to use a regular air tool underwater to
scrub a boat hull?
answers.yahoo.com/question/ index?qid=20060922230446AAhEomz

When an item is submerged underwater, I believe that pressure from
the surrounding water is equal in pressure around the item except
from beneath, ...
www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-150932.ht

... to swallow a solid steel sword while submerged underwater in a
tank of live sharks and stingrays at Ripley's Aquarium in Myrtle
Beach, SC. ...
news.bigg.net/ n58723-
Man_Swallows_Sword_Underwater_in_Tank_of_Sharks_and_Stingrays.html

Evaluation of live oak submerged. underwater for 50 years and
proposed for use in rebuilding the U.S.S. Constitution.
www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf1984/winan84a.pdf

15:26

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.