Antedatings in The Yale Book of Quotations - 39: Silent Majority

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Tue Jul 17 01:12:06 UTC 2007

        None of these citations, either Joel's or mine, are exactly the
modern sense of a politically inactive majority that, through reticence
or disinclination, does not express its views, although the slave
majority in my 1816 example comes close to this sense.  In my 1789
example, Mr. Ames seems to be saying that the committee's majority will
not merely vote silently for the location they favor, but will submit
their compelling arguments to a candid world.  (As you may be aware, the
Susquehanna location ultimately did not win out over the Potomac.)
Still, I think these early citations are important evidence of the
development of the phrase.

        Although I am inclined to think that this is a real example of a
1789 use of "silent majority," I must admit the possibility that the
editors, writing in 1834 or later, chose to summarize Ames's remarks
using an anachronistic phrase.

John Baker