"This pudding has no theme" (Winston Churchill?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jul 17 04:23:17 UTC 2007

PUDDING HAS NO THEME--142 Google hits
My Yale Book of Quotations is packed. What does anyone have on this famous
food quote? Was it said about plum pudding?
_http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/15/books/review/Blount-t.html?pagewanted=2&_r=
1&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1184645345-VlNIXAZy9FQJB41Jku7ZsA_
(http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/15/books/review/Blount-t.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=11846
45345-VlNIXAZy9FQJB41Jku7ZsA)

For more of such perspective, see the introduction, which is sound and
lively. _Winston Churchill_
(http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/c/winston_leonard_spencer_churchill/index.html?inline=nyt-per)  would
have been wrong to find fault  with this anthology, as he is supposed to have
done with an overelaborate  dessert, by saying, “This pudding has no theme.”
(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
Lima News,  The
Winston Churchill so it is  said once refused to eat a tain pudding because
it lacked a theme  Denis Healy's latest Paper is indigestible for much the same
reason The authors  of this document have in fact responded in the way
officials always do when de-  of overall direction They have sunk into triviality
The British must have been  copying some of our top cians speeches or some of
their White of which they  issue quite a few But no matter how far old England
sinks int
_Monday,  March 13, 1967_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=pudding+theme+Winston+churchill+AND+date:1967-03-13)  _Lima_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=pudding+theme+Winston+churchill+AND+cityid:
16362+AND+stateid:73) ,  _Ohio_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=pudding+theme+Winston+churchill+AND+stateid:73)
Anniston Star,  The
Pudding Gets A Theme By  PHILADELPHIA There is an o I d story about Sir
Winslon Churchill being served a  more than usually con- glomerate English dessert
at the end of a moderately  bibulous public He tasted it experimentally and
turned at once to the waiter  hovering behind hb chair he said a bil imperiously
remove this pudding I do not  wish to eat this pudding This pudding has no
Until very recently at any rate  there has been a strong resemblance between the
pudding the great old ma
_Sunday,  November 03, 1968_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search="pudding+has+no+theme"+AND+date:1968-11-03)  _Anniston_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search="pudding+has+no+theme"+AND+cityid:744+AND+sta
teid:2) ,  _Alabama_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search="pudding+has+no+theme"+AND+stateid:2)
Bennington  Banner
pudding with a you may not even  like it By ELLEN CRONAN ROSE BRATTLEBORO A
RECENT James Reston column was  enlivened by an anecdote about Winston chill
and a bad dessert At a  political luncheon at London's posh Savoy Hotel Sir
Winston was served a  dessert which Harold who recorded the story for posterity
described as a rather  equivocal and shapeless mass of goo Sir Winston glared at
his dish then  summoned the waiter Pray take away this he said It has no
theme
_Friday,  October 16, 1970_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=pudding+theme+Winston+churchill+AND+date:1970-10-16)  _Bennington_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=pudding+theme+Winston+churchill+AND
+cityid:2163+AND+stateid:98) ,  _Vermont_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=pudding+theme+Winston+churchill+AND+stateid:98)