"until" vs "before" or "to"

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Wed Jul 18 21:48:44 UTC 2007

The distribution has been generally established, AFAIK (probably by
Virginia McDavid? I'll check my sources when I have time), with reference
to the major dialect areas:  the North uses "to" and maybe "of" (I'm less
sure of this); the Midland (or at least South Midland) and South use "till
(not spelled "til," as Arnold has noted).  Midland extends west of the
Mississippi and tends to fan out, so it's not surprising that Colorado and
Washington State would use "till."  My western students (at least as far
west as Colorado and Kansas) use it, as they do "needs washed" and positive
"anymore," other Midland forms.  Lamont Antieau in Colorado is mapping this
Atlas region right now and should help to flesh out the mapping Arnold
asked about.

BTW, our new local nsp publisher has written twice (mockingly, of course)
about the locals' use of "needs washed/done" and exhorted his writers NOT
to use it.  Gotta write to him one of these days.

Beverly