Monolingualism: the native language of intolerance?

Dennis Baron debaron at UIUC.EDU
Thu Jul 19 16:58:40 UTC 2007

There's a new post on the

Web of Language:

Monolingualism: the native language of intolerance?

It’s common for adults to dislike speakers of other languages.  We
frequently read of students flunked, workers fired, and immigrants
shown the door for speaking the wrong language.  Language can become
an issue on the national scale as well, with speakers of the power
language suppressing the competition, while minority-language
communities push for recognition.  Even war can turn on language
conflict: as far back as the biblical story of the shibboleth, one
sure-fire way to tell friend from foe, before you killed them, was
not by looks or ideology, but by the words they used.

Now a group of psychologists is suggesting that such potentially
fatal language prejudice may be one of the earliest lessons we learn
in life.  Researchers at Harvard and the Ecole des Hautes Etudes en
Sciences Sociales have found that infants as young as five months old
prefer speakers of their own language to speakers of other languages,
even before they themselves can talk. ...

While the researchers don’t actually claim that monolingualism breeds
intolerance, they hint that bilingual babies may be more accepting of
diversity.  And they suggest that because language is something we
learn early in life, manipulating early language experience might
actually help to reduce the social conflicts that emerge later on.

And supporters of immigration reform will certainly welcome these
experiments, perversely, as proof that the best way to instill true
Americanism in the young is to immerse them in an English-only
environment by outlawing bilingual education as well as making
English the official language and deporting anyone who doesn’t speak it.

Interested in this topic?  Read the rest on

the Web of Language:
www.uiuc.edu/goto/weboflanguage

Dennis Baron
Professor of English and Linguistics