noodling and other methods of fishing

Fri Jul 20 17:45:30 UTC 2007

On Jul 20, 2007, at 13:30, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC wrote:
> You can imagine my disappoitment that "noodling" has been neglected by
> both the HDAS and the OED.  If the average noodler was one to
> regularly
> consult dictionaries, this would only add to his feelings of
> persecution.  In an attempt to rectify this sad state of affairs:

For what it's worth, I have an entry for this "noodle" on my web site
and in my book dating it to 1916. Antedatings are possible, since the
entry was done three years ago.

http://dtww.org/index.php/dictionary/noodle/

One of the cites give variants as "hand grabbing, hogging, grabbling,
stumping and dogging."

http://dtww.org/index.php/citations/noodle_1/

Grant Barrett
Double-Tongued Dictionary