tampered by the knowledge

Michael H Covarrubias mcovarru at PURDUE.EDU
Sat Jul 21 15:34:41 UTC 2007

Quoting "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>:

> here's a different wrong word choice involving "tampered".  as is so
> often the case with classical malapropisms, i'm still stumped as to
> what the right target should be:
>
> Let me tell you how. With what I've experienced as a Search Quality
> Analyst, Google, the best way to become an analyst is not to get
> tampered by the knowledge that might be passed in totality to you
> from some senior analyst.
> http://researchatmdi.blogspot.com/2007/07/first-sophisticated-
> seminar.html

Could the writer possibly be meaning "hampered" and "tethered"? You know how
those senior analysts love to rope the younguns into their established way of
doing things. At least that's what my brother-in-law tells me about the senior
analysts swarming around him.

Michael

   English Language & Linguistics
   Purdue University