"Rule of thumb" (1685)

Bonnie Taylor-Blake taylor-blake at NC.RR.COM
Sun Jul 22 22:47:09 UTC 2007

I see that Chadwyck-Healey's "Early English Books Online" database shows a
1685 occurrence of "rule of thumb," which is only slightly older than that
which appears in the OED2 (1692).  Note, though, that James Durham, author
of _Heaven upon earth ... _, had been dead for nearly three decades before
his collection of sermons was published.

I haven't seen the entry for "rule of thumb" in the _Random House Unabridged
Dictionary_ (2006), but I understand it may contain an estimate of 1685-1695
for the origin of the phrase.  If so, is this based in part on Durham's
work?  Or does this simply reflect speculation that "rule of thumb" existed
for some time before 1692?

One last thing.  I apologize for the length of this message, but I wanted to
provide as much context as possible, just in case anyone is still looking
for wife-beating references.  (Full-text transcription provided by EEBO.)
JPGs of the frontispiece and the page in question can be found for a short
while at

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/Cackalacky/Frontispiece.jpg
and http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/Cackalacky/Page217.jpg

-- Bonnie