"so" as predicate modifier

Greg Pulliam pulliam at IIT.EDU
Mon Jul 23 16:19:38 UTC 2007

All:

Please tell me if this has come up before, and if anyone can
remember, about when that was.  I've searched the archives, but
haven't been able to find a thread--it's very likely to be my own
lousy searching techniques impeding me.

I'm interested in the use of _so_ one hears in statements like:

I am so not going to class today.
He is so over her.
We are so going to get in the water today.

Has this usage been looking into as perhaps confirming VP-bar structure?
What are the edgiest usages of this that have been heard?
What other thoughts do members have about it.

Thank you!
--
-
Gregory J. Pulliam