false negatives

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jul 23 16:31:26 UTC 2007

At 9:59 AM -0500 7/23/07, Joan H. Hall wrote:
>Of these [=false negatives], "so don't I" is the
>clearest example with a geographical restriction.
>
>Compare the Midland "I don't care," in response
>to an invitation or request, which actually
>means 'Yes, please.' It's in DARE Volume I at
>"care" B1.

Although it's far from native to me, this usage
doesn't seem all *that* weird, given the
proximity between (not) minding and (not) caring,
so that "I don't {mind/care} if you..." are
essentially interchangeable ways of refraining
from objecting.  For some reason, the absolute
versions--"I don't mind" vs. "I don't care"--have
gone their separate ways in the mainstream
dialect, so it's not too surprising that "I don't
care" has developed or maintained a positive
sense in Midland. In fact, the OED (_care_ v.,
4b) includes the sense
'Not to mind (something proposed); to have no
disinclination or objection, be disposed to. Now
only with if, though',
with glosses back to the 16th c., including

1597 SHAKES. 2 Hen. IV, I. ii. 142, I care not if I be your Physitian.
1611 FLORIO, Scrócca il fuso..a light-heeled
trull that cares not to horne hir husband.

which seem to be direct precursors of the
infinitival examples from the DARE cites, where
"care not to V" = 'don't mind Ving'.  Such uses,
of course, are not restricted to occurrence with
"if" and "though", but that seems to be a typical
case of dialectal resistance to syntactic change,
and besides, we know they speak Elizabethan
English back there in the mountains...

What's odder to me is the DARE cite from Maine (via _Down East_, 1971):

"I don't care for him" = 'I have no objection to him'

Presumably this is an independent development,
and the entry doesn't give any indication that
Maine speakers share the positive (polite) use of
"I don't care" = 'I don't mind' of Midland usage,
for which the cites are from West Virginia,
Kentucky, Missouri, and North Carolina.  Joan, do
you know if there's independent corroboration of
this non-objectional "don't care for" among down
east speakers or others?  Could it be used to
accept an offered item ("I don't care for those
steamers") as well?  Has anyone else come across
this use?

LH