query: "sweet porbell"

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Thu Jul 26 12:05:58 UTC 2007

Quoting "Douglas G. Wilson" <douglas at NB.NET>:

>> I'm forwarding this question with the hope that someone out there
>> can offer a suggestion.  (No point in checking google or the OED,
>> unless you want to find the same query from the same source at
>> "Yahoo! answers", where it wasn't answered, assuming it isn't in
>> fact < "poor belle".)
>>
>> LH
>>
>>>    Now I complete editing the letters and diary of a Civil War
>>> sailor-soldier, b. 1843 in New Haven and later a Yale Divinity
>>> School graduate.
>>>     On January 23, 1865, he wrote:
>>>
>>> "I was, however, some what startled to read that the Gen'l was
>>> rather of an "angel visitant" and cousin of a "sweet porbell." If
>>> my relations must suffer such personalities when I distinguish
>>> myself, I might almost desire that day postponed."
>>>
>>>    The Gen'l was Alfred H. Terry; "angel visitant" is understood.
>>> But sweet porbell (or possibly parbell) is not.
>>>     I have searched every where, asked  forums and the
>>> meaning  still remains unknown.
>>>     What is the world is or was a porbell?
>>>    If you or colleagues have a clue, please advise.
>
> I can't venture a good guess without seeing the handwritten original.
> In the above passage I suspect maybe "rather" should be "father" ...
> which suggests the possibility of some peculiar penmanship (and/or
> sporadic errors).
>
> If someone would upload a picture of the actual handwritten text I
> (and my betters) could have a better shot at it.
>
> -- Doug Wilson

Reading "father" (to parallel cousin) seemed an excellent suggestion,
though the
Dictionary of American Biography says Alfred Howe Terry "was
unmarried." Was the
recipient in Connecticut and the letter writer with Gen. Terry then
between the
two battles of Fort Fisher NC? Angel visitant was often used favorably, but
were these, to the letter recipient relation, unwelcome houseguests?

Stephen Goranson