multiplicity

Thu Jul 26 18:36:50 UTC 2007

Well, the expressions all have different meanings\connotations, and some contexts (e.g., "multiple orgasms") none of the other words would do. Could. U give some examples?

------Original Message------
From: Charles Doyle
Sender: American Dialect Society
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
ReplyTo: American Dialect Society
Sent: Jul 26, 2007 1:33 PM
Subject: [ADS-L] multiplicity

This is not directly relevant to the current discussion of number-agreement, though that discussion brought this matter to my mind:

Have y'all noticed, in recent years, that teenagers and young adults (orally, at least) seem to be preferring the adjective "multiple" to "many," "numerous," "lots of," or even "several"?

--Charlie