"Never play cards with a guy named Doc...."

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Jul 26 22:31:31 UTC 2007

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> I think it was in _The Man with the Golden Arm_ (1947) that Nelson
> Algren first offered the advice, "Never play cards with a guy name Doc,
> never eat at a place called Mom's, and never sleep with a woman whose
> troubles are greater than your own."

According to The Yale Book of Quotations, Algren used this in _A Walk on
the Wild Side_ (1956).

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
   Access and Lecturer in Legal Research     Yale University Press
Yale Law School                             ISBN 0300107986