Lego vs. Legos: Americanism? Regionalism?

Chris F Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Tue Jul 31 00:33:56 UTC 2007

Wilson Gray wrote:
> At least 40 years, Beverly?! Damn! "Unhip" is one thing, "totally
> clueless" is another. I thought that Lego was something new, like
> within the past five years or so. I remember Lincoln Logs, but that's
> about it. IAC, thank you for the description of it. "Live and learn,"
> to coin a phrase.

Now you surprise me. Maybe it came to the US late?

Over 30 years ago my brother and I "inherited" a wicker basket of
already well chewed Lego bricks (the basic, multicoloured kind) that had
been handed down from a cousin one generation older. I remember the
event, but it only added to our own stock. My rarely visited maternal
grandmother also had a basketful stashed somewhere, to keep visiting
grandchildren amused. I don't think during my youth I ever went to a
household with children that didn't contain at least some Lego, and back
then they were gender neutral. I was actually shocked to see gendered
Lego sets as a young-ish adult. The original Danish Legoland opened
before I was born.

Chris Waigl