Cave Kiss; Cave Bacon; Stalactites hold tight to the ceiling, stalagmites might

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Tue Jul 31 13:36:25 UTC 2007

        I heard "cave kiss" about 8 or 10 years ago when touring a cave
in Bermuda, so it seems to have good geographic distribution, even
though Google only reports 40 hits for "'cave kiss' drop" (just "cave
kiss" by itself gets 531 hits, but most are false hits).  Tour guides
apparently say this so that visitors will not complain about getting
wet.  It definitively worked for my daughter, then about 5 or 6; she was
thrilled to have gotten cave kisses.  The New Orleans Times-Picayune
(via Westlaw) has this from 2/7/1999, also about Bermuda (in fact, the
same cave I was in, and at about the same time):

        <<Puttering off on the moped, my body still as immobile as a
mannequin, we headed for the limestone Crystal Caves.

        "Show time!" proclaimed Susan Palmer, a guide with the dramatic
flair of a Broadway actress and a lilting, singsong accent. Step
gingerly, she warned her tour members descending into the underworld --
81 steps down. "Those drops like rain from the ceiling, we call them
cave kisses," she said. Drip, drip, drip ...>>

        My mnemonic is that stalactites have a C for Ceiling, while
stalagmites have a G for Ground.  Boring, but it works for me.

John Baker