Sure don't

Montgomery Michael ullans at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jul 31 22:04:50 UTC 2007

Dear Larry

Belated thanks for the link to the Atlantic story.
The usage sure isn't restricted to either Texas or to
"don't."  I've heard "sure don't," "sure isn't," and
"sure hasn't" all my life, in various parts of the
South (mainly the Kurathian South Midland).  I'm not
so sure about "sure won't or "sure can't."  I can
think of contexts for them, but right off only in
response to negative statements.  Let me think about
this.

The fact that Lise found it prevalent among locals in
southern Illinois suggests South Midland to me.

Michael