Fw: Teenage speak and beyond

Michael H Covarrubias mcovarru at PURDUE.EDU
Fri Jun 1 16:32:08 UTC 2007

Quoting Richard Vallis <rvallis at OPTONLINE.NET>:

> I assume you're being facetious by
> declaring one chooses one's  speech
> pattern to fit what one is saying.

Maybe Rich Little chooses his speech patterns to fit what he's saying, but I'll
leave the 'psychoanalyzing' (as Mr Gordon suggests) to those who are trained in
the skill.

I'm not sure there's enough data to convince me that phonetics are a window to
the soul. (For what it's worth I'll even rescind my jab at anyone who thinks
vacuum cleaners are fashion statements. It's no more ridiculous than thinking
the same about a scarf.)

Michael