Teenage speak and beyond

Sat Jun 2 06:38:29 UTC 2007

Check out any number of books and articles, from Macafee (1994)
through Lippi-Green (2000).  Basically--there are such things as
media-borne innovations, but they tend to be (1) lexical and (2)
buzzwords or catch-phrases.  Usually these have a short shelf-life.
We generally don't copy pronunciations (unless they are embedded in
the above buzzwords, and ONLY in them) so consciously from the media,
since pronunciation is something that (for most people) is more or
less fully-learned by age eight or so.  We may partially acquire a
second accent as we move around--some do this more than others--but
the acquisition is a slow and incomplete process.  What the media's
main effect is--and here, I'm in complete agreement with Caroline
Macafee's work--is softening us up to accept change by promoting
anything that is new as cool, and anything traditional as too old-
fashioned to use or, alternatively, rather artificially authentic
("antique" or "retro") but even here, this  affects the parts of the
language we learn throughout our lives (vocabulary) more directly
than pronunciation, etc.  It does figure in the decline of certain
traditional dialect features.
        The idea that people--even teenagers--pick up new pronunciations (as
opposed to certain kinds of catchphrases) from TV or the movies is
largely a myth.  If these kids are shifting their vowels, it's
because their friends--or people they know who they want to be like--
are shifting theirs.
        Incidentally, when I was doing a sociolinguistic survey in urban
Scotland in 1980-83 (see my article on Variation in the Standard
Scottish English of Morningside in English World-Wide, 1985), the
upper-middle class young women's speech were doing some of the same
things Valley Girls were---/a/ was backing, /E/ and /I/ were
lowering, /u/ was fronting--though without diphthongization, /o/ was
diphthongizing in the same fashion, and there were voice quality and
intonational similarities too.  No connection, though--it seemed to
be a reaction to something local called the Morningside Accent, with
just the opposite vocalic characteristics--think of the way all the
adult female characters speak in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie--and
associated with snobbery and conservatism.  The way the girls spoke
was beginning to be cartooned by the boys of the same age group, who
started calling it the "Ahctually Ahccent", because the word
pronunced  "Ahctualleh", beginning sentences, was a stereotype.  Oh,
yes, and young girls had it too, not just adolescents, and the
process continues with the next generation.  But it sure knocked me
for a loop when I first heard Frank Zappa's "Valley Girl" in '82.
        By the way, I've heard the vowel shifts you describe from young, pre-
adolescent girls in upscale New York suburbs like Morristown, New
Jersey too--and some of these changes might be even older than the
'80s in this area (notably /ae/-lowering).  I think some
contemporaries of mine (born 1950) had them.

Paul Johnston