Further Antedating of "Sex Appeal"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue Jun 5 16:26:07 UTC 2007

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> Fred, are you sure this is exactly the usual sense?  It could mean
> (believe it or not) "interest for one sex, especially women, and not the
> other."

I was going to agree with you, but then I thought, maybe I should look at
the actual context, which turns out to be the following:

***

The best friends of the theater, Shaw maintains, cannot deny that a
considerable proportion of our theatrical entertainments stimulate the
sexual instinct of the spectators.  The play which contains no sex appeal
is described by professional critics as being "undramatic" or "not a play
at all."

***

"Stimulate the sexual instinct of the spectators" certainly seems to be
the usual sense.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
   Access and Lecturer in Legal Research     Yale University Press
Yale Law School                             ISBN 0300107986