Putin

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Jun 6 15:52:20 UTC 2007

The "poot"/"toot" distinction reminds me of two cherished rhymes from my childhood:

Beans, beans, the magic fruit--
The more you eat, the more you poot.
The more you poot, the better you feel:
Let's have beans for every meal!

Sweet potatoes, the musical root--
The more you eat, the more you toot.

For me, "poot" was the normal term for the flatulent phenomenon; "toot" in the second poem was a metaphor.

Once again, it appears that Wilson and I grew up (in eastern Texas) in very similar dialect and folk groups--aside from certain small details like skin color!

--Charlie