pick-and-roll, v.

Fri Jun 8 06:24:53 UTC 2007

The AP reports that LeBron James "couldn't solve San Antonio's
stifling defense and the pick-and-rolling Spurs" in Game 1 of the NBA
finals. The OED3 draft entry for "pick" has "pick-and-roll" as a noun
but not as a verb.

* pick-and-roll, v.

1987 _Oregonian_ 16 Dec. D6 (Nexis) "Defensively, they were doing a
lot of switching on our down screens and cross screens,'' Schattenberg
said, "so we adjusted. We started crossing for one another and
pick-and-rolling.''

1989 _N.Y. Times_ 27 May 43/1 (Nexis) That bluegrass institution of
higher learning has been entreating a New Yorker named Rick Pitino to
come teach its youngsters how to pick-and-roll, handle the low post
and press an opponent like a dry cleaner.

1989 _San Francisco Chronicle_ 20 Dec. D1 (Nexis/Factiva) Kings center
Wayman Tisdale consistently got Bol into a defensive position outside
of the lane, then pick-and-rolled past him en route to a career-high
40 points.

1991 _Denver Post_ 12 Dec. 1D (Factiva) The original Dr. J - Dr. James
Naismith - must be pick-and-rolling in his grave.

1993 _N.Y. Times_ 10 Feb. D7/1 (Nexis) But Bill Bradley, the Knicks'
star forward and a future Senator, known for the accuracy of his jump
shot but not for his speed afoot, was still pick-and-rolling in his
canvas Chuck Taylor All-Star sneakers.

* pick-and-rolling, ppl. a.

1992 _Cleveland Plain Dealer_ 2 Dec. 1F (Nexis/Factiva) Price and
Daugherty were at their pick-and-rolling best in the Cavaliers'
111-101 victory over the Boston Celtics last night at the Coliseum.

1993 _Boston Globe_ 13 Dec. 38 (Nexis/ProQuest/Factiva) He can run the
floor, block shots, and, at, 26, is enjoying every pick-and-rolling
minute of the NBA.

--Ben Zimmer