How prevalent is the silent "t"

Marc Sacks msacks at THEWORLD.COM
Fri Jun 8 12:22:35 UTC 2007

Tom Zurinskas asked:

> I'm just wondering about the pronunciation of words like 'entertainment'
> 'center' 'international' I mostly hear these words pronounced by dropping
> the middle 't' so it would sound like enertainment, cener, and
> inernational.
> But there are also others who would pronounced these words without
> dropping
> the middle 't' could anyone know where the pronunciation originated and
> how
> come others won't drop the middle 't' although I'm not saying it's wrong,
> just wanna know so that if someone would ask the difference atleast I
> would
> know the answer. Thanks in advance guys.

I just want to add the word "often" to the question. My elementary-school
teachers always insisted the "t" in "often" was silent, but many people
pronounce it. I don't know that it's a regional difference, since my son
pronounces the "t" while my wife and I don't, and I never noticed a
prevalence for one or the other, at least around Boston.

Marc Sacks
msacks at theworld.com