deliberate mistakes

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jun 8 16:31:51 UTC 2007

At 11:27 AM -0400 6/8/07, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:
>On 6/8/07, Cohen, Gerald Leonard <gcohen at umr.edu> wrote:
>>
>>IIRC, Allen Walker Read wrote on article on deliberate mistakes. It
>>might have been titled Intentional Mispronunciations.
>>Maybe someone in ads-l has the reference handy.
>
>There was an article by that title in AmSp Vol. 7, No. 3  (Feb 1932),
>but the author was Margaret Reed. Allen Walker Read was of course
>better known for his work on intentional spelling errors (see his six
>articles on the history of "O.K." in AmSp, 1963-64).

Handily collected on pp. 123-247 of your copy of AWR's _Milestones in
the History of English in America_, PADS 86, the annual supplement to
AmSp that you received if you were a member in 2002.  (That volume
also contains a lifetime bibliographical record for AWR, and at a
quick glance I didn't notice anything on intentional
mispronunciation, so it must have been the other [ri:d].)

LH