How prevalent is the silent "t"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 8 23:10:14 UTC 2007

I was taught that "often" was to be pronounced as though spelled
"offen," back in the '40's. In the second grade, I was even given
unmitigated shit by Sr. Claire Marie for hyphenating it as "of-ten,"
though she didn't bother tell me how it ought to have been hyphenated.
I've lost sleep over this conundrum for more than sixty years.

FWIW, I've always considered the t-ful version to be a spelling pronunciation.

-Wilson

On 6/8/07, Marc Sacks <msacks at theworld.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Marc Sacks <msacks at THEWORLD.COM>
> Subject:      Re: How  prevalent is the silent "t"
>
> Tom Zurinskas asked:
>

> > I'm just wondering about the pronunciation of words like 'entertainment'
> > 'center' 'international' I mostly hear these words pronounced by dropping
> > the middle 't' so it would sound like enertainment, cener, and
> > inernational.
> > But there are also others who would pronounced these words without
> > dropping
> > the middle 't' could anyone know where the pronunciation originated and
> > how
> > come others won't drop the middle 't' although I'm not saying it's wrong,
> > just wanna know so that if someone would ask the difference atleast I
> > would
> > know the answer. Thanks in advance guys.
> >
> I just want to add the word "often" to the question. My elementary-school
> teachers always insisted the "t" in "often" was silent, but many people
> pronounce it. I don't know that it's a regional difference, since my son
> pronounces the "t" while my wife and I don't, and I never noticed a
> prevalence for one or the other, at least around Boston.
>
> Marc Sacks
> msacks at theworld.com
> > authorhouse.com.
> >

> >>From: "Landau, James" <James.Landau at NGC.COM>
> >>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
> >>Subject: Re: "cigarette bat" referred to as "schoocher"?
> >>Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 12:16:34 -0400
> >>
> >>---------------------- Information from the mail header
> >>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> >>Poster:       "Landau, James" <James.Landau at NGC.COM>
> >>Subject:      Re: "cigarette bat" referred to as "schoocher"?
> >>
> >>The name "cigarette" bat suggests something is on fire, so could
> >>"schoocher" be a variant of "scorcher"?
> >>
> >>    - Jim Landau

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens