"Coney Island Sandwich" (1892); Sausage Sandwich (1851)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jun 9 03:22:19 UTC 2007

CONEY ISLAND SANDWICH
Ah, don't get me started with NewsBank. Needless to say, if there's any  good
stuff available, I don't have access to it here in Texas.
This is a GenealogyBank citation that I hadn't posted before. A "Coney
Island Sandwich" of chicken, ham, or beef? Would a beef sandwich be a  "hamburger"?
15 November 1887, Bismarck (ND) Daily Tribune, pg. 4:
For dinner she has probably consumed the second or third quart of beer  since
morning and a Frankfurter sausage sandwich.
5 March 1889, Columbus (Ohio) Enquirer-Sun, pg. 1?, col. 2:
A legend familiar to New Yorkers on some of these stands read: "Coney  Island
sausage sandwiches."
10 July 1892, Columbus (Ohio) Enquirer-Sun, second part, pg. 9:
_BAB AT CONEY ISLAND_
(...)
THE CONEY ISLAND SANDWICH.
The island has been reached; the crowd is pushing and scrambling to get  off;
it is a case of every man take care of his own girl, or she will have the
wind knocked out of her; so the various girls are grabbed by the elbow and
pranced along as if they were bicycles, by which the owner was walking. The  first
thing to do is to get something to eat. The charm of a Coney Island  sandwich
is that it is the same yesterday, today and forever. It has no infinite
variety, and all the custom in the world couldn't stale it. It consists of two
hunks of bread with a vicious lump of something (called butter) planted in the
centre of each; over this grows something the size of a postage stamp, which
may  be chicken, ham or beef; then comes a flood of mustard. In eating one, you
have  to make up your mind to go in for a regular scrap, and unless you have
been  going through a course of training with your dentist the sandwich comes
out  first and you are left. It has been described as being a set to between
the  material and the spiritual, and the material gets the better of it. If you
can  eat a sandwich, which is as much as to say if you are the woman with the
iron  jaw, then you realize why so much mustard is used--it's to give you a
thirst,  for from that point right straight around the island, you have a
consuming  desire to drink anything from milk or lemonade to beer and champagne.
After this  you buy a strong of popcorn ,or a bag of peanuts, and keep them to
return to  when you can't get anything else to eat.
"SAUSAGE SANDWICH" IN GOOGLE BOOKS
_Household Words: A Weekly Journal - Page  567_
(http://books.google.com/books?id=p4HldJpMO0gC&pg=PA567&dq="sausage+sandwiches"+date:1800-1900&num=100&ie=IS
O-8859-1)
by Charles  Dickens - 1851
Ham sandwiches, beef sandwiches, German  sausage sandwiches—legions of
sandwiches
are cut and consumed. The  cry is " mustard," and anon the coppers rattle, ...
_Hertha, tr. by M. Howitt - Page 201_
(http://books.google.com/books?id=e7MBAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA201&dq="sausage+sandwich"+date:1800-1900&num=100&ie=ISO-8859-1)
by Fredrika Bremer -  1856
... and saw the tender mother take a large  sausage sandwich out of her bag,
, who stood there eating  her sausage sandwich, and looked calm and fat, ...
_Rovings on Land and Sea - Page 307_
(http://books.google.com/books?id=A90gAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA307&dq="sausage+sandwiches"+date:1800-1900&num=100&ie=ISO-8859-1)
by Henry E. Davenport - 1857 -  316 pages
Ham sandwiches, beef sandwiches, German sausage  sandwiches — legions of
sandwiches
are cut and consumed. The cry is "  mustard," and anon the coppers rattle, ...
_Bond and free, by the author of 'Caste'. - Page  211_
(http://books.google.com/books?id=V9IBAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA211&dq="sausage+sandwiches"+date:1800-1900&num=10
0&ie=ISO-8859-1)
by Emily  Jolly - 1860
... and sausage- sandwiches, half  amused, and half disgusted the fastidious
Englishman: the smile on his lips  was ertainly not a particularly amiable
one. ...
_German life and manners as seen in Saxony at the present  day: With an
Account of Village Life ... - Page 269_
(http://books.google.com/books?id=sDQBAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA269&dq="sausage+sandwich"+date:1800-1900&num=100&ie=ISO-8859-1)
by Henry Mayhew -  1864
... and their expenses, within  the frugal bounds of a penny glass of beer
and a
penny  sausage-sandwich, it will excite but little wonder on the reader's  ...
_German life and manners as seen in Saxony at the present  day: With an
Account of Village Life ... - Page 351_
(http://books.google.com/books?id=YHABAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA351&dq="sausage+sandwiches"+date:1800-1900&num=100&ie=ISO-8859-1)
by Henry Mayhew -  1865
... 1865 ... as well as raw ham and  sausage sandwiches, together with
bright-
tinted drinks for the  ...
_The Story of My Life - Page 27_
(http://books.google.com/books?id=WKWv85RqnZwC&pg=PA27&dq="sausage+sandwich"+date:1800-1900&num=100&ie=ISO-8859-1)
by Hans Christian Andersen -  1871 - 569 pages
... who sat near me, consoled me by  saying that it was only a play, and
nothing
to trouble one's self about; and  then they gave me a sausage sandwich. ...