Beans, etc, PS: The Battle Hymn...

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jun 10 14:08:59 UTC 2007

My grandmother used to recite, as a rhyme:

  "No more pencils, no more books,
  No more teacher's dirty looks."

  That's all she knew. She assured me (in 1954) that it was from her NYC childhood, ca1895.

  My granddaughter currently sings the "hand grenade" verses. Will inquire for her lyrics.

  She also says,

  "Girls rule, boys drool!"

  and

  "Girls go to college to get more knowledge.
  Boys go to Jupiter to get more stupider."

  I pointed out that that could imply that boys are so smart they can only get stupider by going to Jupiter and that girls are in such desperate need of knowledge that they _have_ to go to college. Wow, she _really_ got mad!

  JL