beaner

Neudorf, Paula paula.neudorf at OUP.COM
Mon Jun 11 18:58:40 UTC 2007

'Beaner' in this sense is also in the OED (first quot. 1969); however,
there are no quotations for 'brown as a beaner' at that definition.

For what it's worth, I grew up in Nevada where 'beaner' was very
common to me. I've never heard 'brown as a beaner'. The phrase gets
only 1 hit on Google, and no hits on Nexis, so I'm guessing it's
either really rare or too recent to have appeared in a lot of
publications.

Paula Neudorf
OED

************************
From: Frank Abate
Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2007 2:25 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: beaner

Recording for all the derogatory/disparaging expression:

            "brown as a beaner"

This is heard pretty commonly around here (Cincinnati area) in
reference to
people from Mexico.  It is NOT complimentary, in the using of it OR
(esp.)
in the receiving,

Just opening this up for discussion.  DARE has beaner, but not the
simile.
I'm not sure if Spears has it in one of his phrases or slang
dictionaries.

Frank Abate

FABATE at cinci.rr.com