beaner

Michael H Covarrubias mcovarru at PURDUE.EDU
Mon Jun 11 20:54:15 UTC 2007

Quoting "Neudorf, Paula" <paula.neudorf at OUP.COM>:

> For what it's worth, I grew up in Nevada where 'beaner' was very
> common to me. I've never heard 'brown as a beaner'. The phrase gets
> only 1 hit on Google, and no hits on Nexis, so I'm guessing it's
> either really rare or too recent to have appeared in a lot of
> publications.

And the one hit on Google isn't the same degree comparison:

"He speaks Spanish, he is not the old style Texas racistÊwho looks at anyone who
is brown as a "beaner", he understand and promotes a positive realtionship with
Mexico..."

2 related comparison phrases that get a few hits.

"brown like a beaner" 3 hits
"browner than a beaner" 1 hit

Hmmm...
"brown as a bean" gets 10 hits