beaner

Michael H Covarrubias mcovarru at PURDUE.EDU
Mon Jun 11 21:12:31 UTC 2007

Quoting Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>:

> Also, FWIW, Carlos Mencia, the Chicano comedian, uses "beaner" as his
> usual term for both "Mexican-American" and "Mexican," as does the
> legendary Cheech Marin....

Mencia's argument for the term (if I can remember his bit correctly) is that he
needs a word that covers Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, South American (perhaps
without regard for language too) and the rest. So he settles on "beaner" because
I guess we all eat beans.

I have heard "frijolero" too.

Michael