TV-ad voice-over

Scot LaFaive spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 12 01:30:50 UTC 2007

I'm in agreement with your first two judgements but I don't think I'd bat
more than an eyelash at "refund back" in natural conversation. It does seem
a little odd sounding out of context though.

Scot LaFaive

>From: Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>Subject: Re: TV-ad voice-over
>Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 21:07:59 -0400

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
>Subject:      Re: TV-ad voice-over
>
>It's odd, but "chase after" and "mix together" sound fine to me, but
>"refund back" sounds asinine.
>
>-Wilson
>
>On 6/11/07, Cohen, Gerald Leonard <gcohen at umr.edu> wrote:
>-----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       "Cohen, Gerald Leonard" <gcohen at UMR.EDU>
> > Subject:      Re: TV-ad voice-over

> > Superfluity is one of the results of blending, e.g. chase after (chase +
>=
> > run after). I believe that's what happened in "refund back,"
> > although I'm not quite sure what's going on with "mix together."
> > =20
> > =20
> > Gerald Cohen

Hotmail to go? Get your Hotmail, news, sports and much more!
http://mobile.msn.com