Another kind of buddy

Tue Jun 12 21:03:19 UTC 2007

An acquaintance of mine who was working on a home loan used the vocative
"buddy" on me a few times here in Seattle. He's 27, but I'm not sure if
he's from the area.

The few times, I took it offensively, thinking he was using it as a
sales technique as a means to foster endearment. After enough exposure,
I finally realized that for him the semantic range of "buddy" allows a
shallower level of friendship (and probably a deeper level as well) than
it does for me. I recognize his use as something my father (early 60s)
would use, but perhaps this use is being revived.

Benjamin Barrett
a cyberbreath for language life
livinglanguages.wordpress.com