Another kind of buddy

Wed Jun 13 00:49:06 UTC 2007

Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
> On Jun 12, 2007, at 2:03 PM, Benjamin Barrett wrote:
>
>> An acquaintance of mine who was working on a home loan used the
>> vocative
>> "buddy" on me a few times here in Seattle. He's 27, but I'm not
>> sure if
>> he's from the area.
>>

> vocative "buddy" is a very different animal from 3rd-person-reference
> "buddy", in my experience.

I'm sure this is a very deep subject because of all the uses, but the
vocative used of buddy is not common in Seattle, though there may be
groups that use it. The intonation used led me to believe it was being
used no differently than third person usage.

In any case, it may indicate a development along the lines below that I
cited. BB