For words ending in "-ity" is it ~t or ~d

Thu Jun 14 17:43:46 UTC 2007

"Flaps" are by definition single.  Your "multiple flap" is a trill
(IPA /r/) and, you're right, in general, it's a non-English sound.
Nor would I consider the single flap an isolative reflex of a
phoneme--it's a conditioned one and presents problems for orthodox
phonemicization, as it's in complementary distribution with both
allophones of /t/ and /d/--a case of
"neutralization" in the traditional structuralist literature.

Flaps for /r/ aren't uncommon in British English, particularly
intervocalically (esp. in Scotland and the Midlands of England), and
I've heard them occasionally from Americans (New Yorkers)  in words
like three. I don't have one myself.

Paul Johnston