Gross impoliteness

Bradley A. Esparza baesparza at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 15 12:47:14 UTC 2007

A succinct reply was a choice I made that indeed did not give the perhaps
necessary connection to this lists stated goals and requirements. And, given
my unstated bias to the fundamental study of language in social context as
opposed to out of social context, I am not willing to divorce language from
politics. Call it scholarship, logic or rationalization, if you must. It is
interesting the juicy semantic meaning and social inference made of such a
short statement of but seven words; and that such limited information can
incite such passion as seen here.

I thought perhaps the original referent was speaking of George Tenet. Him
being the unwilling blame-buddy of this presidential administration's
current reasoning for engaging in armed conflict based on information
provided under Tenet's stewardship. Tenet intimates his provision of said
information was misappropriated and misunderstood.

So, as member of a larger linguistic community which, of course, is itself
defined by several individual speakers such as myself, I only sought to
enlarge the corpus of cultural intuitions that Mr Landau had introduced on
the subject. My only assumption, I suppose, is that Mr Landau and the larger
linguistic community would benefit from an additional informant. I shall
leave that assumption open to debate.

Cheers, Bradley A. Esparza