For words ending in "-ity" is it ~t or ~d

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 15 13:58:13 UTC 2007

Thanks James,

Appreciate your input.

Dictionaries dont' recognize the r-flap as an English sound.  There is no
symbol for it in pronunciation guides.  So if it's a sound Americans don't
make how can it be said the ending "ity" is an r-flap.  I don't know what
you mean by "tap".  If it's a tapped "d" sound it's  still a "d" sound.

Other languages have the r-flap.  In truespel book one I find that it's the
most prevalent non-English phoneme.  But it sure isn't a flap in "-ity".  So
I'm saying your books are wrong.  Sorry about the heresy, but perhaps the
writers were natives of other languages with prevalent r-flaps.

Try sending some sound files on this to clarify the books position.

See truespel.com - and the 4  truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at
authorhouse.com.

Live Hotmail.