"guy'' NOT ''guys''

Fri Jun 15 17:51:28 UTC 2007

On Jun 15, 2007, at 8:27 AM, RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:

> .I'm referring to the singular "guy" = 'buddy' 'fella' 'sir'
> 'mister' etc.,
> as in "I'm telling you, guy, I just don't feel like going to the
> ball game."
> Used only to a male.

i have two male friends (distinguished professors at stanford, not in
linguistics) who use vocatives other than my first name to greet me.
(i assume that they want to convey affiliation, and "arnold" isn't
friendly enough.)  one is straight, and uses "guy".  the other is
gay, and uses "friend".  i don't recall anyone else greeting me in
either of these ways.  (no, wait -- maybe herb clark uses "guy" too.
i'll have to listen for it.)  i am touched.

but not as touched as i am when john rickford addresses me as "bro".

arnold