"Everything takes longer than it takes"

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM
Sat Jun 16 12:25:12 UTC 2007

Laurence Horn quoted Bertrand Russell:

"I have heard of a touchy owner of a yacht to whom a guest, on first
seeing it, remarked, "I thought your yacht was larger than it is";
and the owner replied, "No, my yacht is not larger than it is."

--Russell (1905), "On Descriptions"

The guest is being perfectly reasonable.  He is saying, but not at such great length, "Before I saw your yacht, I had *thought* its size to be greater than the actual size, which I am now observing, of your yacht."

The yacht-owner, obviously a paranoid Anglo-Saxon who sees Irish bulls under every bed, then misinterpreted the guest's word as an "apparently logical but actually illogical statement".

   - James A. Landau

     Would the list prefer that I insert a gratuitous
     half-assed political statement here?