"Commissary berries" in Paris Hilton story

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jun 17 15:40:24 UTC 2007

Not that I know what I'm talking about, but this sounds like some kind of error to me.

  "Berries" could be rare survival of the slang sense "money."  If so, "commissary berries" would mean money to buy things at a commissary.  That at least is easier to explain than is the purported phrase "have commissarry berries" defined as "have hangers-on seeking loans."

  Just a SWAG.

  JL
Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Bapopik at AOL.COM
Subject: "Commissary berries" in Paris Hilton story

No other Google hits??
_http://www.nypost.com/seven/06162007/gossip/pagesix/laying_on_luxe_for_paris_
pagesix_.htm_
(http://www.nypost.com/seven/06162007/gossip/pagesix/laying_on_luxe_for_paris_pagesix_.htm)
June 16, 2007 -- PARIS Hilton had better hope she stays sick. The celebu-con
is getting the princess treatment in the medical wing of the Century
Regional Detention Center. Her fellow pokeymates say most inmates "have to be
bleeding from their eyes" to get into the eight-bed ward, but Hilton was whisked
straight into a private room where she sleeps on a comfortable hospital bed and
sups on roast beef, spaghetti and meatballs, chicken nuggets and fish. "You
know, Lean Cuisine style," a recently released inmate told The Post's
Marianne Garvey. She also has a television and is allowed to watch DVDs. If she were
in the prison's general population, she would surely sprout "commissary
berries" - inmates who glom on to anyone with a little cash who could buy them a
$1.50 cheeseburger or an 87-cent Milky Way bar. "If she were with us,
somebody'd be pushing up on her," the inmate said. A jail spokesman said Hilton
would remain in segregated custody until her undisclosed medical condition has
been resolved - "Were taking it day by day."

It's here! Your new message!